How to Add a Custom Domain Name
Professional and Entrepreneur plans include the ability to use a custom domain name to your Visual Society website. For example, if you owned the domain name “johnsmith.com” you could apply it to your Visual Society website.
- Buy a Domain Name – Visual Society doesn’t sell domain names. We recommend purchasing a domain name from NameCheap.
- Sign Up for CloudFlare SSL – After buying a domain name, sign up for a free account at CloudFlare.com. CloudFlare provides free SSL certificates, which is a security requirement all custom domains at Visual Society. Follow the prompts at CloudFlare and change your domain name to use CloudFlare’s Nameservers. See this guide for help.
At this point you should have a domain name with an SSL certificate if you completed the two requirement steps above.
Use Your Domain Name
To complete your domain name change at Visual Society, follow these important final steps:
- In your CloudFlare account, click the DNS button.
- We are using a fake domain name called “example.com” in this tutorial. Use your domain name wherever you see “example.com” in this tutorial. Add a CNAME DNS entry for “example.com” that points to “visualsociety.com” as shown below. Add another one “www” that points to your domain name “example.com”.
- Click on the Crypto button.
- Change the SSL option to “Full.”
- Scroll down to “Automatic HTTPS Rewrites” section at the bottom of the page and turn it ON.
- Log into VisualSociety.com and visit Account -> Settings -> Domain Name.
- Change the domain name to your custom domain name.
If you run into any problems, feel free to reach out via Live Chat or Email and we’ll help out.